Saturday, September 14, 2013

Stranded

A few days ago my low fuel light was on and I was in a rush. So I stopped to get fuel and put 5 gallons in the car and left. Fast forward two days after I drove around on said 5 gallons of gas. I'm pulling into a parking lot and the car dies. No sputtering. Just dead. I started to push the car into a parking spot, up hill, and a person passing by helped me push the car.



Then I had to diagnose the problem. I could hear the fuel pump running, so it had to be electrical. I tear apart the rear section of the interior to gain access to the LS1 ECU and fuses. The ECU was getting power and the fuses were in good shape. Then I started checking all the sensors on the engine that could cause it to die. Everything felt/looked good.




As I'm going through all this my girlfriend asks if I ran out of fuel. Immediately I think "no, the fuel gauge is at 1/4 tank". But I go double check anyways. I was right, the fuel gauge is at 1/4 tank. But here's the weird part. Two days & 100+ miles prior the gauge was at 1/4. Then it dawns on me. I remember reading that the early 996 cars fuel gauges act weird if you don't fill the tank when re-fueling.



My girlfriend takes me to a fuel station, I get a gallon of gas and take it back to the 911. After 5 minutes of playing with the safety on the gas jug I pour the gas into the 911. Go to start the car and it immediately fires up. First time that I've been totally stranded from running out of fuel. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment